Director of Admissions; Clinical Professor (WADDL)
Diplomate, American Board of Veterinary Toxicology
Room: Bustad 227
I am the Director of Admissions for the WSU College of Veterinary Medicine (since 2007). My current position involves teaching in the veterinary curriculum and providing diagnostic toxicology service to Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory and the University of Idaho's Analytical Sciences Laboratory.
The veterinary toxicology service currently receives over 1300 cases per year, totaling more than 4100 tests. These cases come from all over the Northwest and include submissions involving all animal species.
Seminars and Invited Lectures
1. “Plants and Pesticides Problematic to Livestock”, Columbia County Weed Board Annual Growers Meeting, January 28, 2016.
2. “Plants and Pesticides Problematic to Livestock”, Washington State Weed Association Annual Weed Conference, November 4-6, 2015.
3. “Accidental, or Intentional, Xylitol Poisoning in Canines as a Result of Ingesting Xylitol-Laced Baits to Control Predators”, American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, 58th Annual Conference, Providence, RI, October 22-28, 2015.
4. “Something to Ruminate Over – Common and Uncommon Poisonings in Large Animals”, Tri-City Veterinary Medical Association, October 8, 2015.
5. “Facts and Fiction: Decontamination Procedures – Is It Ever Too Late?”, “Untasty Treats Pets Should Avoid”, “Tasty Treats Pets Should Avoid”, and “My Neighbor Poisoned My Dog Syndrome”, 2015 American Veterinary Medical Convention, Boston, MA, July 10-14, 2015.
6. “Plants & Pesticides Problematic/Poisonous to Livestock”, Pesticide Management in cattle and rangeland operations, Adams County Noxious Weed Control Board, Ritzville, WA, May 12, 2015.
7. “Plants Poisonous to Livestock in Clearwater County”, Clearwater Noxious Weed Clinic, Orofino, ID and Lewiston, ID, March 11 and March 12, 2015.
8. “Poisonous Plants as it Relates to Agriculture”, February Noxious Weed Workshop, Republic, WA, February 24, 2015.
9. “Common Plants and Pesticides Problematic to Livestock”, Fall Noxious Weed Conference, Okanogan, WA, December 4, 2014.
10. “Plants & Pesticides – Potential Problems for Livestock”, 2014 Annual Conference, Oregon Vegetation Management Association, Seaside, OR, October 15-17, 2014.
11. “What Horses Should Not Eat – Common and Uncommon Poisonings in Horses” (2 hrs), “Home Bound, In Town, and Running Around: Common and Uncommon Poisonings in Small Animals” (2 hrs), “Common Drugs/Medications That Companion Animals Ingest”, “My Neighbor Poisoned My Dog Syndrome”, Colorado Veterinary Medical Association 2014 Annual Convention, Sept. 18-21, 2014.
- Talcott PA (2015) Zinc toxicosis Blackwell’s Five-Minute Veterinary Consult PMID: PMCID:
- Talcott PA (2015) Organophosphate and carbamate insecticides Five Minute Veterinary Consult Clinical Companion: Small Animal Toxicology 2nd Edition PMID: PMCID:
- Patton TM, Haldorson GH, Mower J, Talcott PA (2015) Chromium toxicity in a dairy cow herd preparation PMID: PMCID:
- Myers WL, Foreyt WJ, Talcott PA, Evermann JF, Chang WY (2015) Serologic, trace element, and fecal parasite survey of free-ranging, female mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus) in eastern Washington, USA. J Wildl Dis. 51(1):125-36. doi: 10.7589/2014-05-119. PMID: 25380366 PMID: 25380366 PMCID:
- Talcott PA (2013) Effective use of a diagnostic laboratory Small Animal Toxicology 3rd Edition, 401-408 PMID: PMCID:
- Murphy MF, Talcott PA (2013) Anticoagulant rodenticides Small Animal Toxicology 3rd Edition, 435-45 PMID: PMCID:
- Talcott PA (2013) Copper Small Animal Toxicology 3rd Edition, 517-21 PMID: PMCID:
- Talcott PA (2013) Miscellaneous herbicides, fungicides, and nematocides Small Animal Toxicology 3rd Edition, 401-8 PMID: PMCID:
- Gwaltney-Brant SM, Talcott PA (2013) Nonsteroidal antiinflammatories Small Animal Toxicology 3rd Edition, 687-708 PMID: PMCID:
- Talcott PA (2013) Mycotoxins Small Animal Toxicology 3rd Edition, 677-82 PMID: PMCID:
- Talcott (2013) Strychnine Small Animal Toxicology 3rd Edition, 827-31 PMID: PMCID:
- Talcott PA (2013) Zinc Small Animal Toxicology 3rd Edition, 847-51 PMID: PMCID:
- Talcott PA (2012) Perennial Ryegrass Staggers Clinical Veterinary Advisor: The Horse 432-3 PMID: PMCID:
- Wright HM, Chen AV, Talcott PA, Poppenga RH, Mealey KL (2011) Intravenous fat emulsion as treatment for ivermectin toxicosis in three dogs homozygous for the ABCB1-1Δ gene mutation. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio). 21(6):666-72. doi: 10.1111/j.1476-4431.2011.00687.x. PMID: 22316260 PMID: 22316260 PMCID:
- Stauber E, Finch N, Talcott PA, Gay JM. (2010) Lead poisoning of bald (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) and golden (Aquila chrysaetos) eagles in the U.S. inland Pacific northwest region--an 18-year retrospective study: 1991-2008. J Avian Med Surg. 24(4):279-87. PMID: 21302758 PMID: 21302758 PMCID:
- Chen AV, Bagley RS, Talcott PA (2010) Confirmed 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid toxicosis in a dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 46(1):43-7. PMID: 20045836 PMID: 20045836 PMCID:
- Fessler AJ, Moller G, Talcott PA, Exon JH (2003) Selenium toxicity in sheep grazing reclaimed phosphate mining sites. Vet Hum Toxicol. 45(6):294-8. PMID: 14640477 PMCID: